Friday, January 11, 2008

Scientifically Proven

So, the Momma is sick with the before-mentioned flu, so the inmates are running the asylum at the moment. The boy and I have been doing our best to make her feel good. The boy likes giving Momma hugs but doesn't understand why she won't share food or drinks.

The Momma slept most of the day while the two of us sort of farted around. The boy isn't as sick as his Momma, but he's been a bit more reserved lately and running a low-grade fever, so he's prone to spurts of activity followed by cuddling and naps, which is what brings me to the purpose of this post, the increased gravitational pull on sleepy children.

I'm sure most of you have noticed how the density of your child seems to increase in direct proportion to their level of tiredness. The boy, after playing this morning then winding down, seemed to have gained a good 10 pounds in dead weight before his nap. After his nap, he was lighter, like a marshmallow, not at all the lead brick I put to bed.

I've got some theories on why exactly this happens. They're still in their infancy, so I will save them for later. Suffice it to say that I believe children have a lighter gravitational pull when fully awake so that they can maintain that boundless energy they seem to have in spades, and the reduction in gravitational drag dissipates when they grow sleepy, so they don't just float off with their dreams.

My evidence is mostly circumstantial at this point, but with proper funding, I believe this could be more extensively researched and perhaps proven. All I know is that as a child I felt lighter, as I'm sure you all did as well. Granted, I was a husky kid, but I felt like the wind when I ran, as I'm sure you remember yourselves. The wind in your ear insisted that you were flying when you ran, and when you jumped it was the furthest anyone could jump. The possibilities of childhood would have been impossible if not for the lightness of being that being a child brings.

It's just a hypothesis, but it would be wonderful if true, that we were all lighter once, when young. I guess time would be better spent determining how we could be lighter now.

Wishing you all lives like children.

1 comments:

Irving Forbush said...

Ohhh what a post!!!!!Witty and pithy at an almost even 50/50 split! Attempts to be clever or waggish with a result closer to being jejune. Please continue to regale us with your disquisitions......I am riveted!